On this day in 1957 The USAF 27th Tactical Fighter Wing took delivery of their first F-101A Voodoo.
The F-101 was a supersonic jet fighter built by McDonnell Aircraft that served with both the USAF and the RCAF. It was initially designed as a long-range bomber escort but was instead developed into a nuclear-armed fighter-bomber and a photo reconnaissance aircraft. It was retired by the USAF in 1972, the Air National Guard in 1982 and the RCAF in 1984.
The Voodoo had a ranged of 1,520 mile, a ceiling of 58,400 feet and a top speed of Mach 1.72. It was powered by 2 Pratt And Whitney J-57-P-55 turbojets (variants of this engine also powered the F-8 Crusader, F-100 Super Saber and the F-102 Delta Dagger) that produced 11,900 pounds of dry thrust and 16,900 pounds of thrust in afterburner.
A large number of these aircraft are on display at various museums, including the outstanding National Museum Of The United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio.